6.18.2009

the inevitable


Recently, a few things have caught my attention.
One, my kid desperately needs a haircut. Or does he? I mean really in the big scheme of things does it really matter if my kid looks like he is wearing a wig?

The other thing that has consumed some of my thoughts is the realization that my child will grow up whether I like it or not. That I will get old. That time goes by so quickly. It used to be Me. It used to be Me & Mike. And now it's a family. Us. Don't get me wrong, I mean I know that we have been a family all along, but in my head I think I am still 18. Funny, but true. I was talking with some wonderful gals I work with, and it hit me. I have entered a new phase. This phase consists of sleepless nights, lots of diapers, running around in circles, cleaning, crying, teaching, laughing, and eventually doing this a few more times. Although I have been doing this for the past 10 months, suddenly the light bulb came on that I didn't just have a baby, a new phase has started.
It has and will be lovely.
I can't decide if this great realization of mine was brought on because my baby is quickly approaching his 1st Birthday or because the big 25 is right around the corner for me, but either way they are both inevitable.

And so is the fact that his hair will just keep growing, so I guess I will just let it.

5 comments:

Sandra Dubreuil said...

His hair looks AWESOME!! I love it! He is adorable! And I agree with you on all the realizations...I think I still think I'm 18 as well but I am sooo far from there! So keep thinking you're 18! I think it's O.K.!! We have to chat soon!!

Hosley's said...

Wow looks like we are in the same exact boat. I just had my 25th birthday and Tylee will be 1 in 2 weeks... Ohh boy has the time flown by. I have recently came to the same conclusion about being in a whole new phase. Even just a year ago I thought "Why do people complain about getting older, it's not so bad", But now i'm one of them, I dont want to get any older. But I have to say, if I get to spend it with my precious little girl and wonderful hubbie, IT'S WORTH IT!

curtandheather said...

So true! I still feel 18. One of my neighbors asked me how old I was and I paused for a second and had to think for a minute....26 or 18? Man, 26! Dang. I don't feel it. I guess that is like when our parents would say time flies and how they don't feel their age and we just rolled our eyes cause we were teenagers and didn't care. It is so true. Life moves on, with or without you. You are an awesome mom and I love his hair.

Margie said...

Wow Candace, can I first tell you that you are a great writer?! Really. And next, I totally agree with you. It's so wierd what a dramatic change a little baby can bring into your life. Nobody can tell you, it's just something you have to experience yourself. It's the hardest and the best. Let's do lunch soon! I have a car now!

Deamers said...

I find my self saying to girls way younger than me, aren't they are age? and then they look at me like we're not the same age and I think, Oh yeah I'm not 20 anymore! One time I ran into these guy friends of mine at the grocery store, they were buying pop and chips and stuff, and I've got diapers, and cleaning supplies, food etc. There's you're answer to wether you're old or not right there.